Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Move it or lose it.


Dear Readers,

What a week. What a mother truckin' week. Blogger's been on the fritz and my brain is banana oatmeal from 3 overnight shifts. I went out last night and was a human cadaver for about half the conversation. True Story.

OK. I feel better now, which leads us to the first and only topic of this post: Motivation. At this very moment, I only have a smidgen. To combat this, I am listening to Aretha Franklin. She inspires excessive Motivation and Effort for me. I hear her voice and it seems like a great idea to do 4 loads of laundry and clean the shower. Is this a kumbaya love everybody, work hard, and succeed kind of post? Hells no. Everyone needs incentives-! Even hippies. I often feel highly Motivated to save money, but only on certain things. Here they are:

1. Food. I like it. It likes me. I will go to great awkward lengths to get good food! I will go to restaurants that have self esteem shattering customer service for nice cake! I will hand over expired coupons, vouchers, coffee cards, and credit notes in the hopes of acquiring a half priced treat. I will argue over that loophole in a menu to save a dollar, as it would be cheaper to separately order the creamed mushrooms and the toast instead of the creamed mushroom toast.* However, thanks to our stinky economy, it's fashionable to be cheap! Check out the plethora of daily deals that have sprung up all over NZ.

2. Travel. I won't enjoy the trip unless I know for an absolute fact that I got the Best Deal of the Year. Our last trip to Melbourne was legen- wait for it - DARY! We got flights for free with our hotel package. Did it make an entire year's worth of spammy weekly emails from House of Travel worth it? Totally! Keep an eye or two on Flight Centre, House of Travel, Webjet and you too can brag about how you practically got paid to go on your holiday.

3. Books. Around a year and a half ago I realized that there were a lot of books that were coming out that I wanted to read that either the library didn't have (and wouldn't get in for ages) or the waiting list was 1500 people deep. My previous post was obviously extolling the wonderous virtues of Mighty Ape but they're certainly not the only online retailer out there. Any time I read Entertainment Weekly's book review website and find something that sounds particularly fantastic then I check out (in order) Mighty Ape, The Nile, Real Groovy, and then Warehouse. Don't expect the kind of impressive service you might get from non-virtual bookshops like Unity (new books) or Jason's (used), but if you already know what you want then save yourself 20-40% and go online.

* True story. The menu has changed since my last visit wherein I pointed this out to the mystified staff, evidently no one had tried it out before.

No comments: