Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Helpful, that's what I am.

Yesterday @dlishblog (the who's who of Auckland blog cuisine) and I got into a twitter frenzy over the best places to eat in Auckland*. We also discussed how this can prove difficult when you have proverbial moths flying out of your wallet. All done & said, we listed a few mutual places that makes our tummies happy and our wallets happier.

Here they be:

1. Ima Bistro, 57 Fort St, Central City (09 300 7252)

Their mains are pricey since the food is out of this world great, but their vegetarian Mezze plate is a cool $26 clams and feeds two comfortably, especially with a little extra homemade pita bread. The platter consists of some wonderous tapas that taste homemade and undeniably high quality. Try this instead of that subpar $13 foodcourt curry the next time you're moping around that end of town.

2.  Archie's Pizza, 61 Davis Crescent, Newmarket, (09 523 5111)

As a transplanted Americano, I have an ongoing and undying loyalty to pizza. There are two pizza places on this list and both are just stunning as well as a total value for money. Archie's is a bit pricey for dinner but their $12 lunch special is right on par. The ingredients they use for their pizzas are top notch and the size is more than enough to fill your tank.

3. That's Amore, 42 High Street, Level 2 Metropolis Building (09 302 0646) around the corner from Wagamama, up the escalator by the fountain

I can't recommend this place more, I just cannot. Their dough stands up to NYC pizza and roughs it up (a little). Their regular size pizzas feed two pizza crazy folks ($10 for vegan style-$32 for all out meat extravaganza), but we usually go for a small size and their side salad which is one of the best dishes on the menu- a huge bowl of fresh mescalun mix with pan fried capsicums and stunning balsamic dressing. If you're feeling flush, try inhaling their Sorrentina gnocchi (you can't spend $16 in a better way). Now I'm all hungry.

4. Renkon, 211 Parnell Road/10 Durham Street East/65 Pitt St/2/175 Ponsonby Rd

Anywhere else, for $11 you can't get anything on the level of Renkon. This chain is an institution! I always gravitate to their donburi menu, my partner leaning towards the chicken karaage and I'm usually left with the tough decision of tofu teriyaki or salmon karaage. The service is polite and quick, the food more reliable than taxes or death. I've been a fan for years, but then again, so has everyone else.

5. Sheinkin Cafe 3 Lorne Street, Central City

Oh Sheinkin, you scamp! I just love their bagel sandwiches, and at $9 a pop they're just the right price for a hearty bagel stuffed with either roast veges & a block of creamy feta, mushrooms, or some sort of chicken concoction that my partner always orders. Their eggs and toast is pretty darn snappy, but avoid the beet and fava bean salad at all costs; it was the worst lunch I've eaten in years.

So D'lish also recommended KK in Epsom, they do Malaysian food that is the bee's knees, or so say those glowing reviews, click the link to see what I mean. More than enough to get me out in the rain to give it a go!

Any recommendations? We're looking for the $10-$16 range for lunch or dinner.

* I generally find this habit to be especially irritating for others. Who wants to read a transcript of your conversation? Nobody-!

2 comments:

Carmen! said...

It's almost 10am here in PA/USA, and I'm crabby and drinking a decidedly NOT foodie-endorsed Diet Coke, but your post makes me want to throw on pants and get on over to NZ to ear lots of yum food. Just give me 20 hours or so. ;)

Unknown said...

Aw, thanks Carmen :) I made myself all hungry just writing about all the super yum places we have.